Lost Filling in Lincoln, NE:
Help is Closer than You Think
Our Lincoln dentist near me have you covered if you have a lost filling. We’ll discuss important topics and answer common questions right here to help you decide what your next step should be.
– Why did my crown or filling fall out?
– If I lost a crown or filling, can my tooth be sensitive?
– What should I do if I’ve lost a filling or a crown?
– Quick, short-term fixes to help until you can see a dentist.
Most of the time, a filling or a crown falls out while eating or chewing gum. Losing a filling or crown can cause the tooth to become sensitive and vulnerable.
Usually, it is decay beneath the crown or filling that causes it to become loose or fall out. The decay changes the shape of the tooth which compromises the fit of the filling or crown.
If no treatment is done for a lost crown or filling, the tooth will become more sensitive or infected as debris and bacteria come in contact with it. Teeth can also shift if a crown is out of the mouth for too long.
Here are the steps dentists nearby recommend you take if a filling or crown becomes loose or falls out:
- First, call our office or our emergency dentist number (if it’s after hours) if you have a lost filling or crown and are experiencing severe discomfort. If you are not experiencing a significant amount of discomfort, call our office so we can get you in at your convenience.
- If you lost a crown, be sure to clean it the as good as you can and keep it in a safe place. It is possible the crown can be cemented back on the tooth. Most local pharmacies carry a temporary dental cement. This or toothpaste can be used to temporarily affix the crown in place while you await for your appointment. DO NOT use glue or any other type of non dental material to put the crown back on your tooth.
- If you lose a filling, you can place clove oil on the tooth (avoid your gums) to help relieve sensitivity.
Your “emergency dentist near me in Lincoln, NE” will evaluate the tooth with the lost filling to determine the cause. Your emergency dentist will either place a new filling, or go over other recommended treatment if needed. If you have a lost crown, your emergency dentist will try to recement it on the same tooth. This is possible as long as the tooth is not decayed or broken.
If decay is present, your emergency dentist will remove it, and place a new filling or crown. Keep in mind, however, if the decay is too extensive or deep, a root canal treatment may be needed first.
If you have encountered any of the above situations, but are afraid of the dentist, we understand. Our team at Coddington Dental will do everything they can to make sure your visit with us is superior. That’s why we offer sedation dentistry. Conscious sedation in dentistry is an extremely safe and effective way to make sure you get the treatment you need.
How urgent is a lost filling? Our dentist in Lincoln, NE explains…
If you lose a filling, call our emergency dentist as soon as possible. In the meantime,, there are a couple of short-term remedies you can try. Go to your local pharmacy, and pick up some over-the-counter dental cements. These dental cements can be used as a temporary fix.
For an even shorter term remedy, you may also use sugar-free gum to cover the cavity. Be sure it is sugar-free gum, because any sugar entering a cavity can cause severe discomfort. Remember, cavities left untreated can develop into more serious problems, including loss of the tooth.
Give us a call at Coddington Dental to evaluate your lost filling or crown. We are more than happy to help and present you with your treatment options.
The information on this page was written by Dr. Jodi Day.
This gentle Lincoln, NE dentists says: “My patients deserve personalized, quality dental care in an atmosphere they feel comfortable in. At Nebraska Family Dentistry, our team of caring professionals are committed to providing you with a comfortable and positive dental experience. Our goal is to partner with you to help you achieve and maintain optimal dental health throughout your lifetime.”
You can schedule with this Lincoln, NE dentist online 24/7 at her West Lincoln Location of Nebraska Family Dentistry. This Lincoln, NE dentist serves the local communities close to Coddington Dental in Garland, Pleasant Dale, Denton, Crete, Milford, Hickman, Roca, Martell, and Panama.
I am looking forward to meeting you soon, Dr. Jodi Day.
Make easy, affordable payments for your procedure with dental payment plans we offer.
Nebraska Family Dentistry has Lincoln Dental clinics in all parts of Lincoln. Choose “near me dentist” location that is convenient for you.