Implant Bridge: A Missing Tooth Replacement Option
Here’s what we will cover:
What’s the best option for missing teeth? We’ll offer the advantages and disadvantages of each replacement option.
Why is it important to replace teeth that are missing? Are there any dentists nearby who can replace teeth?
When you are missing one or more teeth, it begins to affect your appearance and overall health. When you have missing teeth, chewing, speaking, and smiling can become a challenge. A missing back tooth could cause your mouth to shift, changing your facial features, ultimately, making you look older than you are. At times like these, you must take action. Luckily for you, there are many tooth replacement options and an implant bridge could be one of them. You might be wondering if this is your only option, or why it’s so important to replace missing teeth. No need to fret, we’ve got you covered!
We know that making decisions regarding your health and overall quality of life can be overwhelming, and we’re here to help. We want to see you smile again! Let one of our “Lincoln, NE dentists near me” help you today.
Why you should replace missing teeth:
• You may be self-conscious of how the gap looks when you smile.
• Your speech may be affected by missing teeth.
• A missing molar can make it harder to chew.
• Remaining teeth can shift if a lost tooth doesn’t get replaced.
• Remaining teeth can loosen over time due to bone loss around the missing tooth.
• By missing teeth and bone, your face can sag and possibly make you look older.
Three of the most common options for replacement of teeth by a dentist in Lincoln, NE:
Implant Retained Bridges
Removable Partial Dentures
Option #1 for replacing missing teeth:
This type of procedure is used to replace a single tooth, several teeth, or to support a full set of dentures. Implants are posts made of titanium (a durable, lightweight metal) that they can surgically place in the upper or lower jaw. They function as mouth anchors for the replacement teeth.
How do you know if dental implants are right for you? Is there an affordable dentist near me?
• Do you hide your smile because of missing teeth?
• Do you wear dentures that are uncomfortable?
• Are you dissatisfied with your removable partial dentures?
If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, you might find that an implant is a good replacement option for your missing tooth. Because a tooth implant is a surgical procedure, it is not an option for everyone. People with chronic illness may not be a good candidate due to it can take them longer to heal after surgery. Tobacco use and electronic cigarettes can also slow the healing process. The dental professionals at Coddington Dental can help you. Our skilled professionals can even discuss payment options with you. At Coddington Dental, we believe everyone deserves to smile!
Option #2 for replacing missing teeth:
Implant Retained Bridge
An implant bridge is a restoration that accidentally fills the space where the teeth have been missing. The bridge is later cemented into place, and only a dentist can remove it.
How is an Implant Bridge Placed? Our dentists in Lincoln, NE explain…
Placing an implant bridge requires an oral surgeon to place implants to replace missing teeth. It takes about three months for new implants to integrate with an existing bone and be ready for the crowns.
At that time, our West Lincoln Family Dentist will make impressions for a new dental implant and its current space. The impression then goes to a dental lab where technicians will make the implant bridge out of ceramic. Using ceramic makes your new bridge beautiful and natural-looking, so it easily blends in with the rest of the teeth in your mouth. A temporary bridge is placed while you await the fabrication of your permanent bridge. Once the permanent bridge is complete, it’ll be fitted, adjusted, and cemented in place.
What is the cost of an Implant Bridge? Our dentists in Lincoln, NE explain…
The cost combines the cost of placing dental implants with dental bridge crowns to go on top of those implants.
Most insurances cover a portion of an implant bridge. Depending on your insurance plan, the cost of dental implants may be taken care of as well.
Advantages of a fixed bridge:
• An implant bridge can look, feel, and function like natural teeth.
• Implant bridges, unlike natural teeth, do not get cavities.
• An implant bridge is considered a permanent lifetime solution.
• Implant bridge does not have to be taken out for cleaning.
Implant bridges are likely to be more expensive upfront than a
removable partial denture. It is a lifetime solution, unlike any other option.
Option #3 for replacing missing teeth:
Removable Partial Dentures
A removable partial denture allows you to remove it easily for cleaning. Partial dentures usually have replacement teeth fixed to an acrylic base made of several durable materials that match the color of your gums. Partial dentures typically have a clasp that attaches to your natural teeth.
Getting used to a Removable Partial Denture…Our Lincoln, NE dentists explain…
It takes some time to master the procedure for putting in and taking out a removable partial denture. For the first few times it may feel odd or tight, but don’t worry, in time, you will get used to it. Never force the partial into place by biting down; this creates a chance to bend or break the clasp. If you have a problem with your partial dentures, visit our West Lincoln Family Dentist. You should not wear your removable partial denture 24 hours a day.
Our West Lincoln Family Dentists in Lincoln, NE will recommend that you take them out at bedtime and put it back in when you wake up. It is critical to keep your partial denture in water or denture-soaking solution when you are not wearing it. Do not let it dry out because it can lose its shape. If your partial denture gets left out of your mouth for an extended period, there is a possibility that your teeth can shift or move. If this happens, your partial denture will not fit properly.
Our Lincoln dentists near me recommend scheduling follow-up appointments to check for pressure points and sore spots. At those checks-ups, our West Lincoln Family Dentist can adjust your denture, so it fits comfortably. Do not try to adjust your partial denture yourself.
What if my mouth has changed?
As you age and your mouth changes, your removable partial denture may not fit as comfortably. They can break, crack, or chip, or one of the teeth could loosen. Sometimes our West Lincoln Family Dentist can make the repairs. Depending on the severity of the particular problem, restorations can take one to several days.
Advantages of removable partial dentures:
• Removable partial dentures are usually less expensive than fixed bridges or implants when multiple teeth need to be fixed or replaced.
• Teeth next to space doesn’t need preparation.
• Removable partial dentures will be removed for cleaning.
• The removable partial denture can lead to decay on the remaining teeth.
• The removable partial denture can result in Active Periodontal disease on the remaining teeth.
• They can break or be lost.
• Removable partial dentures may take longer to get used to wearing.
• Several appointments may be needed to achieve an ideal fit.
• Some people are embarrassed to take out their teeth at night and for cleaning.
• Removable partial dentures always need more frequent replacements versus implants or a fixed implant bridge.
Your Smile Wish
Looking for options to restore or enhance your smile? Check our the PDF version of Your Smile Wish.
If you would like to see one of our West Lincoln Family Dentists, you can call Coddington Dental at 402-438-5555, or you can schedule your appointment online day or night.
The information on this page was written by Dr. Ben Joekel.
This gentle Lincoln, NE dentists says: “My goal as your dentist is to listen to your concerns and needs when it comes to your dental health. Once your concerns are addressed, our goal as a team is to provide you with exceptional care that makes you feel comfortable.”
You can schedule with this Lincoln, NE dentist online 24/7 at his West Lincoln Location of Nebraska Family Dentistry. This “dentist near me” serves the local communities in Garland, Pleasant Dale, Denton, Crete, Milford, Hickman, Roca, Martell, and Panama.
Looking for Dental Payment Plans
or Apply Online
(Click logo above to be directed to website)
We have 7 Locations in Lincoln, NE!
- Lincoln Family Dentistry – Central Lincoln
- South Lincoln Family Dentistry – South Lincoln
- Northeast Lincoln Family Dentistry – Northeast Lincoln
- Preserve Family Dentistry – East Lincoln
- Coddington Dental – West Lincoln
- NorthStar Dental – North Lincoln
- SouthPointe Dental – Southwest Lincoln
- Emergency Dentist NE – Emergency Dental Care
- Lincoln Dental Plans – Affordable Dental Options
Coddington Dental is a proud member of Nebraska Family Dentistry. We’re one of multiple NFD locations, some of which are even open on weeknights and weekends for your convenience.
Each NFD team member is trained to go above and beyond to keep our patients calm and comfortable, so you can expect the same exceptional care from all of our sister locations.