Cavities – Answers to All of Your Whys!
The chances are that you might have experienced a cavity or two in your life, but why? That’s the question that many ask. I brush my teeth; I floss, why in the world am I getting cavities? In our short article, we’ll answer your “whys.”
- Why am I susceptible to cavities?
- Why don’t cavities hurt right away?
- Why are regular check-ups necessary – can they help detect cavities?
- Why does my diet matter – can it contribute to cavities?
While cavities aren’t the worst thing, they sure can be a nuisance. Your oral health plays a huge role in your overall health, so we feel that it’s essential to help you learn WHY preventing cavities is important. Keep reading to see what tips we have to offer that might be helpful for you.
Fixing cavities in adults and children:
How to prevent them
Almost everyone (more than 90% of people in North America) suffers from dental cavities (decay), including children. The reason we get cavities is that our mouths have many bacteria and a portion of it being an inflammation starter.
But some bacteria convert the sugar into acid, which then attacks the tooth structure, leading to cavities. The terrible thing about cavities is that discomfort isn’t experienced until the decay has progressed to the nerve. At this point, it is usually too late to place a filling and tooth needs a root canal. A damaged tooth cannot be regenerated, only repaired. Thus, regular dental examinations are necessary. The earlier your Lincoln dentists near me Dr. Jodi Day, Dr. Brad Alderman, and Dr. Ben Joekel can discover the cavity or cavities, the quicker and easier it is to treat, and the best part is that you can avoid a root canal.
• Schedule regular dental exams to detect caries early so the problem can be fixed. Caries can progress very rapidly and what could of fix with a simple filling may progress to needing more expensive and extensive treatment such as a root canal.
• Don’t wait to come in until you have severe discomfort! A small, simple cavity usually doesn’t cause any discomfort. If a tooth starts hurting, there is probably a more severe problem that will require more than just a filling.
• Brush twice a day.
• Floss regularly.
• Rinse with a mouthwash approved by the American Dental Association (ADA®).
• Use sugarless gum after meals. Sugarless gum has Xylitol which can reduce bacterial load and stimulate salivary flow, which, in turn, helps to eliminate bacterial load as well.
• Do not drink soda-soda has a lot of acid that will eventually lead to tooth structure loss.
• Eat plenty of calcium-rich foods, such low-fat milk, yogurt, and cheese.
The information on this page was written by Dr. Jodi Day.
This gentle Lincoln, NE dentists says: “My patients deserve personalized, quality dental care in an atmosphere they feel comfortable in. At Nebraska Family Dentistry, our team of caring professionals are committed to providing you with a comfortable and positive dental experience. Our goal is to partner with you to help you achieve and maintain optimal dental health throughout your lifetime.”
You can schedule with this Lincoln, NE dentist online 24/7 at her West Lincoln Location of Nebraska Family Dentistry. This Lincoln, NE dentist serves the local communities close to Coddington Dental in Garland, Pleasant Dale, Denton, Crete, Milford, Hickman, Roca, Martell, and Panama.
I am looking forward to meeting you soon, Dr. Jodi Day
Dental cleanings are a great way to prevent cavities, visit the link here to learn more about cleaning.
Have additional questions, don’t hesitate to contact us for more information about cavities. Our Lincoln dentists can offer you great information that is exclusive to cavities.
No Dental Insurance?
Affordable Dental Care
Make easy, affordable payments for your procedure with dental payment plans we offer.
Schedule Day or Night
Schedule your dental appointment at anytime of the day or night with our online scheduling.
- Lincoln Family Dentistry – Central Lincoln
- South Lincoln Family Dentistry – South Lincoln
- Northeast Lincoln Family Dentistry – Northeast Lincoln
- Preserve Family Dentistry – East Lincoln
- Coddington Dental – West Lincoln
- NorthStar Dental – North Lincoln
- SouthPointe Dental – Southwest Lincoln
- Emergency Dentist NE – Emergency Dental Care
- Lincoln Dental Plans – Affordable Dental Options
Nebraska Family Dentistry has Lincoln Dental clinics in all parts of Lincoln. Choose a “near me dentist” location that is convenient for you.